Does anyone have insight into what 「元気をなくすとは」means? I am aware that 元気 is "energy" and なくす is "to lose". So "to lose energy" makes sense? However I am not altogether sure what とは means in this instance. A Japanese friend asked me for an English equivalent and I wasn't sure if this was colloquial somehow?

Thank you in advance!

• Saying that 元気 is 'energy' is a gross simplification. – BJCUAI Feb 5 at 18:07
  • I am aware. As I am asking a specific question, I didn't have time to give an extensive definition. Do you know what it means in this instance or were you just making a general observation? – quoth3raven Feb 5 at 22:12
    I am not altogether sure what とは means in this instance. ← What instance? You have not provided any context. 「とは」 can mean a couple of completely different things and only the context will tell what meaning it is used for. – l'électeur Feb 6 at 11:27
  • @user3856370 - Thank you, that link was helpful! – quoth3raven Feb 6 at 15:08

“元気をなくす” means “lose energy”, “lose their health” or “being down”. You can use on physical matter and mental matter both.

Regarding meaning of “とは”:

It’s hard to say without seeing whole sentence but if that word is using like below it have implication that "you shouldn't". I think there are no words in english to replace it completely. I tried to find good example..

彼女に捨てられたくらいで元気をなくすとは情けない。
Don’t be so down just because she dumped you. How pathetic you are.

In this case, its meaning is similar to "~するなんて".

To me, 'It's pathetic how down you are just because she dumped you.' seems more natural and in line with the original sentence. – BJCUAI Feb 8 at 7:04
  • It could be. But I wanted to say, anyway there are no words to replace exactly. – coeda Feb 8 at 10:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.