I've seen a few words in a cursory search:

• [在宅勤務]{ざいたくきんむ}
  • テレワーク
  • [在宅]{ざいたく}ワーク

but I'm interested in the situation where your usual place of work requires commuting, but you are temporarily working from home just for the day, as opposed to a situation where you are based primarily at home.

「今日はリモートで作業します。」would be a natural way to express the situation you describe.

I think any of the words you mentioned could be used that way. None of the words you mention specifically imply that a person is always a teleworker.

You can specify that through context, as in the following dialog:

松村{まつむら}さんは?

• あっ、今日{きょう}はテレワークしていると思{おも}います。
  • あっ、今日は在宅勤務{ざいたくきんむ}だと思います。
    I'm confused... what is the random「松村さんは?」sentence for? – Blavius Feb 4 at 22:17
  • I'm trying to show the flow of conversation. So, somebody asks, "Where's Matsumura-san?" or something like that. – sazarando Feb 4 at 22:44
    The meaning of "it's just a matter of time-boxing" is unclear to me in this context. I know what time-boxing is, but what does it have to do with the question or the example sentences? – snailboat Feb 5 at 0:28
  • Both of the example sentences in the post have 今日は in bold. I was hoping to show that you could make it clear that Matsumura-san was not a regular teleworker by narrowing the time focus of the context. I think that's the situation that the OP is asking about, right? – sazarando Feb 5 at 0:42
    Timeboxing is a project management concept. Were you just referring to the mentioning of a particular time in the sentence? – Leebo Feb 5 at 0:53

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.