Full paragraph is

人は弱い
その弱さ故時に矜持を捨てた行動をとる事もあるだろう
だがそれが何だというのだご老体
例え千の挫折を突きつけられようとも私が生き方を曲げる理由にはならない

I can't decide what 3rd sentence exactly mean and in 4th sentence 挫折 means "setback" or "disappointment"?
Thanks in advance.

This question will probably be closed for either being a translation request, or showing no effort. But I really want to know the answer too. Please improve it by adding your own attempt at translation. Maybe you also looked at the following links but still couldn't figure it out. I couldn't. japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/24856/…, japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/48967/… – user3856370 Feb 2 at 10:34
  • @user3856370 "So what?" – user4092 Feb 2 at 15:04
  • @user4092 So the 何だというのだ part is 'So what?", right? But I couldn't figure out how it fit into the rest of the sentence. Is there a missing だ at the end? Does それ refer to the ご老体? i.e. "This is an old man who asks 'so what?'". – user3856370 Feb 2 at 15:24
    @user3856370 The 「ご老体」 is 呼びかけ(vocative case), like.. 「~~だ、ご老体。」「~~だよ、おじいさん。」"But, what would it matter, old man?" って感じで。。。 – Chocolate Feb 2 at 23:27
    Related, maybe? japanese.stackexchange.com/a/49129/9831 – Chocolate Feb 2 at 23:38

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.