I was watching an Easy Japanese video on YouTube.

At 1:37, the interviewer says:

素敵。やっぱり普段生活してても感じる?あ、優しいって。

What does してて mean? Or is it a typo? して makes sense here, but I don't understand してて. It's there in both the Japanese script and the English transliteration.

As you can see in here, い in 「てform + subsidiary verb いる」 can get dropped in casual speech, eg 見ている→見てる, している→してる, so..

生活してても感じる

is a colloquial pronunciation of..

生活していても感じる

生活していて is the te-form of 生活している, "be living", "be leading a life". It's like the progressive/continuous form, as opposed to the present/plain form (=「生活する」"live", "live a life").

In your example, 「~て(い)て」 is used to mean "while (you're) doing~~":

普段生活していても感じる?
lit. "You're living a daily life, and you feel it, too?"
→ "Do you (still/also) feel it while you're living a daily life? / in your daily life?"

The 普段 is functioning as an adverb here, "normally" "usually" or "daily" (since we don't have a compound noun 「普段生活」). The も adds a nuance of "too", "also", "still", or "even".

Some examples using 「~~て(い)て~~」 "~~ while/when doing~~":

歩いて(い)てころんだ。 I fell while walking.
料理して(い)て指を切った。 I cut my finger while cooking.
目をつぶって(い)てもできる。 I can do it even with my eyes closed.

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.