Why the difference between Buddhist temples, 寺, and Shinto shrines, 神社? (The latter does not take ご神社, お神社 or 御神社.)

• Comments are not for extended discussion; this conversation has been moved to chat. – Chocolate Jan 31 at 17:01
    A lot of the uses for お and ご are idiomatic. E.g you say お電話, お返事, despite them being words of Chinese origin. In お茶 and お金, the お has become part of the word and it's lost most of its meaning of politeness. It's actually a bit strange just to say てら rather than おてら, so the お is losing its politeness here as well. This is a common phenomenon. おみこし and おみくじ, for example, have お as a prefix, despite the み already being a polite prefix. Over time, the み lost it's sense of politeness, so people added an お. So you can't always apply logic to which words take お (or ご) and which don't. – brownsardine Jan 31 at 18:44

Apples to apples, the on-yomi equivalent to 寺{てら} would be 寺院{じいん}. It would be just as unusual to see ご寺院 as ご神社. I think by adding ご, it almost sounds like the 寺院 or 神社 belongs to the person you are addressing, and since neither one is likely to belong to a single person, the construction sounds unnatural.

On the other hand the kun-yomi equivalent of 神社 would be 社{やしろ}. It wouldn't be strange to refer to this as お社, it's just that the word 社 itself is not as common as 神社. I think お doesn't carry the same implication as ご, namely that the thing marked belongs to the person you are addressing.

Common: お寺、寺院、神社

Sounds strange: ご寺院、ご神社

Not strange, but less common: お社

• Yeah, my feeling is that it's grammatically OK to say ご神社、but the only circumstance where it would make sense would be if you were humbly addressing someone (or maybe a company) of higher status than yourself who privately owned their own shrine. I don't think that comes up very often. – sazarando Jan 31 at 22:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.