I've came across this kanji when reading this fantasy light novel, 黒【こく】瞳【どう】 (the furigana was also in the book), but I can't seem to find the meaning.

I've searched for it in both english and japanese but could not find it.

I know "黒 means black" and "瞳 means pupil", So maybe I'm supposed to think that this means "black pupil"?! But google image only shows black pupils/eyes if I type 黒い瞳.

For context, the following line contains that word in the book (where a girl's appearence is being described):

背中にかかるほど長い髪も、露出の少ない肌も目を奪われるほど白く、細い肢体を包む喪服のような漆黒のドレスと、高い知性を窺わせる黒【こく】瞳【どう】だけが、幻のように儚げな少女の実在を証明している。

From that whole line, the only thing I can't understand is 「高い知性を窺わせる黒瞳」... Black eyes that make you presume she's super intelligent?

Someone who owns a huge dictionary may find an entry for it, but perhaps a more important fact is that most Japanese speakers (including myself) do not recognize it as a standalone word. I am aware of no reason why having black pupils can suggest high intelligence. A quick google search gave nothing, either. The basic meaning ("black eyes") is self-explanatory, and I think most native speakers will read on without even wondering.

• Yes, I revised the latter kanji many times to make sure I was typing the correct one. I guess the author wants to be "fancy" with his words. The intelligence part is indeed weird though. Thanks a lot for the answer! – Felipe Oliveira Jan 29 at 5:28
    @FelipeOliveira I think the author is just talking about 知性を窺わせる瞳 that happen to be black, not 知性を窺わせる瞳 because of its blackness. – naruto Jan 29 at 7:59
    I would probably translate that as something like "Black eyes that glimmer with intelligence." It doesn't make sense literally but it is more of a way to just state the fact that she has black eyes and also is intelligent. – firedraco Jan 30 at 19:30
  • @firedraco ohh, that's a good way to translate it, and it goes well with naruto's comment, thank you!! – Felipe Oliveira Jan 31 at 16:31

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.