I've got a sentence which, I believe, has to be translated in Japanese using "Aの方がC" construction.

Anna learns Japanese more (than for example English)

Can I translate it as 「アンナは日本語の方をたくさん勉強します」?

Or is it possible to write it this way: 「アンナは日本語の方がたくさんを勉強します」?

UPD: I might've misinterpreted the sentence due to wrong emphasis, since the original sentence is in Russian.

Anna learns Japanese more (than somebody else)

So, basically, it is 「アンナの方が日本語をたくさん勉強します」

But what if the emphasis was on Japanese?

• I'm fairly confused what you're trying to say when you say what if the emphasis was on Japanese – Ringil Jan 28 at 17:36
  • Let's see... Just imagine questions, e.g. A - "what language does Anna learn more, Japanese or English?" B - "Who learns Japanese more, Anna or Steve?" The reason you feel confused is probably messed up word order of those sentences. Sorry:)) – Tawahachee Jan 28 at 20:36

アンナは日本語の方をたくさん勉強します。

This sentence is fine.

xアンナは日本語の方がたくさんを勉強します。

This sentence has two problems.

1. You have 日本語の方 as the subject (marked by が) of 勉強する, but it is not the Japanese that is doing the studying; it is Anna.
  2. You have たくさん as the object (marked by を) of 勉強する, but Anna is studying Japanese. She is not studying たくさん.

アンナの方が日本語をたくさん勉強します。

This sentence is fine.

You ask "But what if the emphasis was on Japanese?". I think you answered that with your first translation, didn't you?

• Well... yes, I did. But I was not sure. Talking about the first sentence, I needed to know if it's possible (and allowed) to change が with を, since my book gave me the "Aの方がC" construction without mentioning that が can be changed by を. And now after I read your answer I can be sure that it's possible and legal. Also, I wasn't sure that this construction can be used when I want to emphasize different things, i.e. the doer and the object. Thank you for the answer. – Tawahachee Jan 28 at 20:50
  • -1: Any clues as to what I overlooked here would be appreciated. Thanks. – user3856370 Jan 29 at 16:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.