My online language class taught us how to reply with our age(s) in a sentence. We were also told that you could reply with "naisho" meaning secret if you weren't going to provide your age. However, I've not seen anywhere that uses this term in a sentence. How do say this correctly in Japanese and not just use a one word response of naisho? Such as "my age is a secret."

• Have you tried to look up naisho (内緒) on a dictionary or online? – Marco Jan 28 at 4:54
  • I see what the word means, but would like to know how it would be used in a sentence, specifically "my age is a secret." – Dan Jan 28 at 5:24
  • @Dan If you're not aware, there are online dictionaries that will provide sample sentences. jisho.org/search/%E5%86%85%E7%B7%92%20%23sentence – Keiki Jan 28 at 13:46
  • That's a great site, was not aware of such a dictionary. – Dan Jan 31 at 0:59

内緒【ないしょ】 (naisho) functions as a simple noun (although it also works as a so-called "no-adjective"). You already know how to say "This is a pen" or "I am a student" in Japanese, right? Then you can employ the exact same grammar.

私【わたし】の年【とし】は内緒【ないしょ】です。
My age is a secret.

This is the "full" sentence, but people usually do not bother to repeat the topic (私の年) when it has been already clearly indicated in the previous question:

内緒です。
(It's) a secret.

And in casual speech, です is often omitted. So actually a one-word response is not bad in this case:

内緒。
(It's) a secret.

Why 内緒 and not 秘密(ひみつ)? Is it just a matter of usage? There's Are there differences in nuance and usage of 内緒, 秘密 and "Please keep it a naisho because it is a himitsu." (google), but I don't feel like I understand the difference and/or appropriateness. – Pablo H Jan 28 at 14:01
  • The 内 in 内緒 makes me think that it's more like saying "that doesn't concern you" rather than it being a "hush hush no-one must know" kind of thing, for which 秘密 would be more appropriate. – Valdimar Jan 28 at 15:00
    @PabloH Because the asker wanted to know how to use 内緒 :) In this case they're interchangeable. Basically 内緒 is only for personal secrets regarding one's privacy. You can say ピラミッドの秘密 but not ピラミッドの内緒 or such. – naruto Jan 28 at 20:08
  • Upon the initial posting, wasn't expecting any feedback whatsoever, certainly didn't expect it to be so constructive. Thank you to all the input, it's been very helpful! – Dan Feb 10 at 21:56

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.