I'm attempting to read a book and I don't understand the grammar 100% here.

ジャックはもうすぐ九歳。本を読んだり、自然を観察したりするのが大好きな男の子だ。

Overall, I believe it means:

Jack will soon be 9 years old. A lovable boy that reads and watches nature.

But, I don't understand why the second sentence does not end like:

本を読んだり、自然を観察したりする大好きな男の子だ。(No が particle at all

A lovable boy who reads and watches nature.

OR

大好きな男の子が本を読んだり、自然を観察したりする。(が particle moved to the front)

A lovable boy that reads and watches nature.

How does the grammar work on the second sentence here? I know that 本を読んだり、自然を観察したりする is being nominalized and then it becomes a noun, which makes it usable by が. But I do not understand how its connection with 大好きな男の子 works.

I think you've misunderstood the sentence because of the ambiguities in the form Aが好きなBだ.

For example,

犬が好きな人だ

can mean both that (I am) a person that likes dogs as well as (I am) a person that dogs like depending on the context (although I think it's most likely to be interpreted in the former way).

However,

寿司が好きな人だ

can only mean (I am) a person that likes sushi. After all, it would be completely ridiculous that sushi could have the willpower to like a person unless this was some weird science fiction.

Your example is similar to this latter example. It would be absurd if the act of reading books/watching nature could love a person.

Therefore, the only way the second sentence can be understood is as:

A boy that loves to read books and watch nature.

• Thanks! I have honestly never seen the Aが好きなBだ pattern before. Definitely put me through a loop. I didn't know B becomes relative to A. Let alone the whole ambiguity part – Tylersansan Jan 28 at 6:11

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.