I am wondering about the way to write そそっかしい in kanji, and if this is possible.
I've found that the な-adjective 粗忽{そこつ}, a word with very similar if not identical meaning, can in less common cases be read 粗忽{そそ} as well -- yet my google searches do not seem to like 粗忽っかしい{そそっかしい} at all!

Still, since the meanings of these words are so much alike, I can't help but be suspicious. Of course, I'm aware that そそっかしい is normally written in hiragana. But I am still curious about a connection with kanji, so if anyone on here can enlighten me, I will be very happy.

This kotobank.jp link says that『日本国語大辞典』refers to a kanji version of「そそっかしい」as「麁相かしい」, and gives a quote from the novel (section) 式亭三馬『浮世風呂・2・下』:

私が一体麁相かしい性で

Here's a page from『浮世風呂』(taken from 人文学オーペンデータ共同利用センター) with that quote highlighted:

enter image description here

This is my transcription:

If you believe that this furigana says「[麁相]{そそっ}か」(refer to a hentaigana chart), and trust the authority of『日本国語大辞典』, then「そそっかしい」can be written as「麁相かしい」.

In the『日本国語大辞典』entry, the only quote including「そそっかしい」which has kanji is「麁相かしい」.

Additionally, according to this dictionary,「そそっかしい」is actually just a variant and is derived from「そそかしい」with the addition of the sokuon「っ」. Under「そそかしい」, more kanji variants have been recorded, including

• 『和英語林集成』(1867年初版): 「[粗粗]{そそ}かしい」
  • 夏目漱石『明暗』: 「...彼を[忽卒]{そそか}しく」

Thanks to @By137 for providing this info

尾崎紅葉『金色夜叉』is another novel which possibly uses that reading:

My transcription:

[不相變麁相]{あひかはらずそ〻ツ}かしいね

In both cases, it looks like「ツ」(or its very close hentaigana equivalent「𛁪」, U+1B06A) is used for what is now「っ」, which may have been common orthographic practice at that time (these two were written around 1800-1900).

Of course, there might be other kanji representations of「そそっかしい」used around this era; many of these texts are not digitised (or properly checked after digitisation) so they remain unsearchable on the web.

• Disclaimer: I don't have a copy of『日本国語大辞典』to confirm what the dictionary actually says. Also,「麁相かしい」appears twice more on these two pages. – droooze Jan 27 at 17:10
    @KentaroTomono okay, I added another novel which looks like it uses that reading. I don't think I can find any more. – droooze Jan 28 at 0:00
    Feel free to put this info in your answer. I'll delete mine if you do. – By137 Jan 28 at 8:10
    Thank you for your answer, this is seriously fascinating stuff! I'd never even heard of hentaigana before, so you've provided me with something new to dive in as well. :-) I do agree it's suitable to accept this answer over the first one. – Eva van der Noord Jan 28 at 9:23
    @droooze Looks good to me except that the 送り仮名 in the 夏目漱石 quote was しく only 忽卒{そそか}しく. Glad to help. – By137 Jan 28 at 10:16

I am wondering about the way to write そそっかしい in kanji, and if this is possible. I've found that the な-adjective 粗忽そこつ, a word with very similar if not identical meaning, can in less common cases be read 粗忽そそ as well -- yet my google searches do not seem to like 粗忽そそっかしい at all!

Your question was nice because I have never paid due attention to this word in Kanji. So I checked.

The above Yuraika.com, which tells us the etymological origin of a word, says,

「そそっかしい」の漢字表記{かんじひょうき}は不明{ふめい}

It is unclear how we express そそっかしい in Kanji.

Although as you found out 粗忽 as a Kanji version 「そそっかしい」、it is yet pronounced as 「そこつ」 but not 「そそっかしい」( Dictionaries say only semantically same not as a pronunciation. )

Conclusion

There is no Kanji for そそっかしい。

Thank you.

• I didn't downvote, and I hope you don't delete your answer (maybe just modify it a bit...There is no Kanji for そそっかしい。 > A *kanji* representation for そそっかしい is exceedingly rare). I think the reference which says 「そそっかしい」の漢字表記は不明 shows that the vast majority of people haven't seen the kanji for it. The kanji representation isn't even recorded as a valid way of writing the word「そそっかしい」in most dictionaries. – droooze Jan 28 at 9:44
  • @droooze ah, it's alright. And congrats. But as you say, I bet almost 99.99999% people today have never used the Kanji, even nor have ever seen. Even あいかわらず by Ozaki is not literally Japanese Kanji but rather Chinese Kanji. haha. – Kentaro Tomono Jan 28 at 11:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.