In the following sentence:

ふつ~怒られるんじゃないかぁ~?

For context, the speaker has been beaten and is responding to the victory interview of the one who defeated him, which contains a lot of heartwarming stuff like how he's just happy he could keep a promise he made to his father. The speaker is accompanied by at least one other person (who also lost), but probably by more.

[EDIT: to better explain the context, because the above is faulty.

• C defeats A and B.
  • C is interviewed by D.
  • A (and B) watch the interview.
  • A comments (to B?) on what C says in the interview.]

What is ふつ? The one guess I have at present that sort of makes sense is the affectionate meaning of 仏, so that it would be "How adorable~Ah, we can't possibly be mad at this, right~?" But as far as I understand that would require the ほとけ reading.

Sort of a backup guess is that it's short for ふつふつ, but if so I don't know how to apply that.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Reading through the comments, I'm sorry for the trouble I've caused. I'm very grateful for all the help I've been given and I hope you all have a nice day.

• Apologies, but I don't think ~ is ー. The lettertype used has a very clear difference between any and all stripes (~, ー (katakana), and 一 (kanji)) and on top of that, ~ has in no other line been used as a substitute for an elongated sound (on it's own, anyway). Maybe I'm not getting what you're saying? – Andrea Jan 26 at 8:24
  • So the speaker on question is C, and speaking to him/herself or another person? – Kentaro Jan 26 at 8:47
  • @KentaroTomono In my edit, the speaker is A. C is being spoken about. And B responds to A with ボクもそう思うネ… – Andrea Jan 26 at 8:56

The word you're seeing is ふつ~, which is 普通【ふつう】 ("normally", "usually") written in a slangy/sloppy way. This is not a tilde but a wave dash, which is used in place of a standard long vowel marker (ー). Notice the width of the character. In vertical writing it's rotated 90 degrees. You can write like おか~さん instead of おかあさん, そ~です instead of そうです, and so on (never do this in formal settings.) 仏 has nothing to do with this sentence.

A: ふつ~怒られるんじゃないかぁ~
A: Normally, I guess he (the interviewee, C) would be scolded (if he says such a thing)?

Here's the relevant explanation from Wikipedia:

Japanese punctuation

Wave Dash

The wave dash 〜 (波ダッシュ nami dasshu, wave dash) resembles a lengthened tilde (FULLWIDTH TILDE), which does not exist in JIS X 0208.

Uses in Japanese include:

• To indicate a long or drawn-out vowel (ですよね〜 or あ〜〜〜), usually for comic or cute effect
  • I'm starting to see where the gaps in my understanding are located (as others point out too, I might very well be getting the sentence's subjects mixed up). I'm going back to my translation and review some things. If I don't leave another comment, my problem has been solved. Thanks everyone for all the help! – Andrea Jan 26 at 11:13
  • @Andrew Naruto's answer is O.K. So I will upvote too. By the way, next time you ask the question, could you simplify the "context" thing as much as possible? Otherwise, at the start I had no idea who is the speaker and his/her relationship with father and others was a complete puzzle.lol. – Kentaro Jan 26 at 11:29
    @KentaroTomono I will! I did not handle this well at all and I'll make sure it'll be better a next time. Thank you all for your patience! – Andrea Jan 26 at 11:42

This is easy as pie.

Here, ふつ~ is the Japanese colloquial version of Kanji 普通{ふつう}, meaning typically, normally, ordinarily, naturally etc etc.

So I was provided with more context by the OP at edited version, saying,

C defeats A and B.

C is interviewed by D.

A (and B) watch the interview.

A comments (to B?) on what C says in the interview.]

And at the comment line,

@KentaroTomono In my edit, the speaker is A. C is being spoken about. And B responds to A with ボクもそう思うネ…

Then the conversation? utterance? would be like this, I think.

A, the defeated speaker, is speaking to B, ( not to himself probably ( because in the edit, it is described "corresponds to B?" )).

And I am sorry, I was a bit perplexed who is scolded, so that is the speaker A talking about C's attitude? Then

"Normally C is gonna be yelled at ( by his father ) ( or by his master? ) later if C says such a thing"?

( And B is responding to A with ボクもそう思うネ… )

And yes, ふつ~ is a bit of colloquial version of ふつう/普通{ふつう}.

仏{ふつ} means France in old usage by the way.

And

Sort of a backup guess is that it's short for ふつふつ, but if so I don't know how to apply that.

ふつふつ is the Japanese Hiragana of 沸々{ふつふつ}, in which you can imagine hot water simmering, so there is nothing to do with this "conversation".

Thank you.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.