This sentence has become famous lately as the catchphrase of Giorno Giovanna in the JoJo: Golden Wind anime series. Literally, it's translated as "in this Giorno Giovanna there is a dream", but subtitles render it as "I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream", maybe because the original sentence's construction is pretty weird, at least to me as a beginner.

What I wonder is: is this the normal way of saying someone has a dream in japanese? If not, is it some kind of way to form a sentence which is used to express something in particular? Or is it just Araki making things up to sound weird?

According to the situation, speaking in the third person can make the character sound cuter/more childish (when a little girl speaks about herself in the third person) or braver/cooler (this is probably the case of Giorno here). However, if you put a pronoun like 俺/僕 instead of the name, the sentence would feel normal and is the actual way of saying (about oneself) someone has a dream. The には is used because the subject of the sentence is 夢 so you would translate is as "There are dreams to me" but "I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream" is probably the closest translation to the real meaning. – N Gillain Jan 24 at 23:01
  • I see! What about the この at the beginning? From what you said I guess the normal way of saying such a thing would be 私には夢がある, right? – Eärendil Baggins Jan 24 at 23:12
    Ho! There is a link to a related quesdtion given by @Marco that explains it all. The この added at the beginning put more emphasis on Giorno so It sounds like he is a bit bragging about himself. That's probably the reason why they translate it by " I, Giorno GIovanna, ...". – N Gillain Jan 24 at 23:20

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.