Sorry if that question is too specific. I don't know if I'm allowed to ask it.

I don't know how to say that part: use a different database from Jisho.org's?

I tried to write like this:

その辞書がjisho.orgのと別データベースを使いますか。

Is there something wrong?

There are two grammatical errors and one unnatural expression in your attempt, but unfocused translation checks are off-topic here. Could you at least explain which part of your translation is most difficult to you? – naruto Jan 22 at 2:41
    I think the asker has done enough research effort on his own. @Tito, how about「その辞書はjisho.orgとは別のデータベースを使いますか。」 – DXV Jan 22 at 7:11
  • I tried to use "jisho.orgの" to mean like "Jisho.org's one". I have difficulties in that part I mentioned on the post because of that doubt. According to DXV, the rest is almost fine. Am I allowed to ask questions like that? – Tito Morenno Pontes e Souza Jan 22 at 10:17
  • Regarding that construction by DXV: Jisho.orgとは別のデータベース. Doesn't that mean "a database different from Jisho.org" as if Jisho.org was a database instead of a dictionary? – Tito Morenno Pontes e Souza Jan 22 at 10:40
  • Use は instead of が. It may seem to be a simple mistake, but it makes the sentence look very unnatural.
  • Use 使っていますか instead of 使いますか for the same reason why you have to say 知っている, 結婚している, etc.
  • It's better to say "jisho.org(の)と別データベース" than "jisho.orgのと別データベース". (The first の after jisho.org is optional; for example 彼と別の犬を飼う does not mean the speaker is thinking 彼 is a dog.)

Corrected sentence:

その辞書jisho.orgと別データベースを使っていますか。

PS: General translation checks are basically off-topic. Next time please try to make a question and title that focuses on one specific grammar point, word usage, etc. (Because that is the rule; we can review other parts of your translation, anyway.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.