Sorry if that question is too specific. I don't know if I'm allowed to ask it.

I don't know how to say that part: use a different database from Jisho.org's?

I tried to write like this:

その辞書がjisho.orgのと別データベースを使いますか。

Is there something wrong?

There are two grammatical errors and one unnatural expression in your attempt, but unfocused translation checks are off-topic here. Could you at least explain which part of your translation is most difficult to you?
    – naruto
    Jan 22, 2019 at 2:41
    I think the asker has done enough research effort on his own. @Tito, how about「その辞書はjisho.orgとは別のデータベースを使いますか。」
    – DXV
    Jan 22, 2019 at 7:11
  • I tried to use "jisho.orgの" to mean like "Jisho.org's one". I have difficulties in that part I mentioned on the post because of that doubt. According to DXV, the rest is almost fine. Am I allowed to ask questions like that? Jan 22, 2019 at 10:17
  • Regarding that construction by DXV: Jisho.orgとは別のデータベース. Doesn't that mean "a database different from Jisho.org" as if Jisho.org was a database instead of a dictionary? Jan 22, 2019 at 10:40

1 Answer 1

• Use は instead of が. It may seem to be a simple mistake, but it makes the sentence look very unnatural.
  • Use 使っていますか instead of 使いますか for the same reason why you have to say 知っている, 結婚している, etc.
  • It's better to say "jisho.org(の)と別データベース" than "jisho.orgのと別データベース". (The first の after jisho.org is optional; for example 彼と別の犬を飼う does not mean the speaker is thinking 彼 is a dog.)

Corrected sentence:

その辞書jisho.orgと別データベースを使っていますか。

PS: General translation checks are basically off-topic. Next time please try to make a question and title that focuses on one specific grammar point, word usage, etc. (Because that is the rule; we can review other parts of your translation, anyway.)

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .