So I know that when an i-adjective like 速い becomes an adverb to modify a verb you have to change the い to く, like 速く走る (to run quickly).

I'm having trouble understanding the grammar in 強くありたい. I know it means 'I want to be strong' but shouldn't 強く modify ありたい like the example above? I want to be/to exist/to live strongly instead of wanting to posses the characteristic of being a strong person.

• 「強くありたいと願い」 is not a sentence. – l'électeur Jan 20 '19 at 3:13
  • Then I'll delete that part, I'm more curious on how the adverb modifies the verb. Maybe it's incomplete. Thanks. – Chrollo Jan 20 '19 at 3:20
  • What is 強くありたい supposed to be. Do you mean 強くなりたい? – Leebo Jan 20 '19 at 3:58
  • That's what I'm trying to figure out. It is from a song, here are the lyrics (second verse). Also, when I do a quick Google Search, the phrase 強くありたい is present in many pages. So I assumed the phrase made sense. – Chrollo Jan 20 '19 at 4:06
    It's better if you think of 強く as an inflected form of an adjective, not as an adverb. – snailplane Jan 20 '19 at 7:26

Japanese i-adjectives (速い, 強い...) are inherently predicates, so in theory they don't need another verb "to be" to support. Here, the extra ある is a kind of rhetorical reflection of the will to be (in a state), or consciously keep being.

It can be used in the same way with na-adjectives and nouns in the form ~である. Of course, である can be also just an expanded form of ~だ, so the form is less exclusive than i-adjectives (whose conjugations, like 速かった is contraction of 速くあった too, but it never expands anymore).

強くあろうとする strive to be strong/tough
生涯気高くあった remained dignified throughout one's life
80歳になっても健康でありたい want to stay healthy at the age of 80
良き教育者であれ Be a good educator!

This is a relatively literary, solemn expression. Also, the difference with ~くなる/~になる is that なる implies you are currently not in the state (80歳になる means you aren't now), which is not the case with ~くある/~である (健康でありたい doesn't mean you aren't now).

PS

[adjective]くある also appear when you attach a focusing particle to an i-adjective.

薄くあるが、持ち運ぶには重すぎる
= 確かに薄いが、… / 薄いことは薄いが、…
It's slim to be sure, but too heavy to carry around.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.