I am trying to write an ambiguous/evasive sentence. The sentence is:

[PERSON A],もしかして,あの人は一緒に,というのは,[PERSON B]ー

To the effect of "Person A, is it possible, that you and that person, that is to say, Person B-"

Am I using this correctly or is there another, more suitable word to use? I want to keep the comedic disjunction of the sentence without sacrificing the meaning.

Many thanks!

• Questions from a non-native speaker of English: is this kind of speech felt "comedic"? if so, what makes it? does the part "that is to say" (or what you think corresponding to というのは) contribute to it? Jan 18 '19 at 13:21
  • @broccoliforest As a native speaker of English I am equally confused. Jan 18 '19 at 13:40
  • @broccoliforest I felt the use of excessive pauses and the use of "that is to say" makes the sentence a little long-winded, and comedic in the context I'm using the sentence in. They're kind of tip-toeing around getting to the point.
    – Nadiams
    Jan 18 '19 at 14:24

Personally, I think the first part is enough if you want to create some ambiguity. So you can say :

• [PERSON A]、 もしかして、 [PERSON B]と一緒に...

This sentence is enough to be evasive. Also, you can replace もしかして by まさか if you want the sentence to have a stronger suggestion of the meaning (I feel like, in this case, まさか is better).

• Thank you for your answer! I agree that まさか certainly feels better as well.
    – Nadiams
    Jan 18 '19 at 14:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.