I know both 尽くす and きれる mean to do something fully/completely eg(these are my own examples)

色々やり尽くす。(I have tried all the methods or I have exhausted all the methods.)

generally I have heard of

食べきれない。(cannot complete the food...)

What I want to know is when do we use 尽くす and きれる.

How do I know if I can say やり尽くす or やりきれる?

It's an explanation by feeling rather than logic, but V+きる strikes me as if pushing a progress bar until the end, while V+つくす marking off all items in a list one by one. People use ~きる when you achieved 100% of an assumed entirety of work needed to call it completed, and ~つくす, when you leave none of ever imaginable targets.

That's why ~きる is typically associated with a goal, or "the point you don't have to continue" (especially in potential form ~きれる), and ~つくす against available resource, or "the point you have no means to continue". In another aspect, ~きる usually focuses on a single item or event, where ~つくす has multiple items in mind.

They sometimes have a complex interaction with the verb's meaning (besides many non-transparent idioms e.g. 乗り切る, 張り切る etc.) that I can't really make a sweeping summary, but hope you grasp a feel from examples below:

やりきる (do a single thing to the end)
やりつくす (do every possible thing; try every possible way)

食べきる (eat until 0% left / to do) ≈ 食べつくす (eat until nothing remains)

○ 疲れきる (so tired that HP down to 0)
× 疲れつくす (it's difficult to assume some kind of "fatigue" list)

一本の木を使いきる (use a piece of lumber completely)
一本の木を使いつくす (make full use (every possible application) of a piece of lumber)

• Thank you for this explanation."pushing a progress bar until the end" -> this really helped me understand.
    – Abi
    Jan 18 '19 at 1:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.