I am studying vocabulary and I came across the word 然る, either read as さる or しかる (usually written in Kana) and means "A Particular/A Certain" noun. However, there was only one example sentence on there and it wasn't marked as a Common Word, which seems to be a red flag for me in terms of learning the correct vocabulary.

How can I use さる/しかる to express "a particular/a certain" thing? Secondly, is there a better or more natural way to express this phrase?

Example idea:

卒業するように、さる授業を取らなければいけません。
In order to graduate, you must take a certain class.

It's always read as さる when it means "a certain ~". You can think of it basically as a literary version of ある meaning "a certain ~" or "one ~". In relatively casual situations, さる sounds more or less "serious", and it sometimes has a nuance of "don't pry into this".

• ある授業を取らないといけません → sounds natural and neutral
  • さる授業を取らないといけません → uncommon; may sound like this class is somehow special/problematic when used in a casual blog article or such
  • ある会社 → neutral
  • さる会社 → maybe the speaker does not want to disclose the name of the company
  • Ah, I always forget about ある. Thanks for the response. – dattebane Jan 16 at 10:11

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.