I was playing ポケットモンスターファイアーレッド (Pokémon fire red) when I noticed that this appears when I start reading most of the signs:

おとくな けいじばん

I've searched for it in a couple of sites, and it looks like けいじばん is bulletin board, but I didn't find what おとくな means, nor what the sentence is saying.

• I think if you know na-adjectives and how to use a dictionary, you'll be able to answer this question yourself... – Earthliŋ Jan 13 at 20:46
    おとくなけいじばん - ポケモンWiki – user27479 Jan 13 at 20:50
    Hint: おとく is the adjective な is what connects it to the next word. You should be only looking for the adjective, without the "connector" – Felipe Oliveira Jan 13 at 23:12
    Further hint: お とく  the お just makes the word more polite. So look up とく and けいじばん and you've got your answer. – virmaior Jan 14 at 2:08

It's the na-adjective 得【とく】 with a polite prefix お. As a na-adjective it means "profitable", and お works in various ways, but here you can think of it "for you". So お得な is as a whole like "(that) profits you".

enter image description here
jisho.org: 得

Thus お得【とく】(な) is a very common fixed phrase in the real life. The definition below reflects very well what settings they use it frequently in.

jisho.org
jisho.org: お得

If you don't know how to use a dictionary or what a na-adjective is, please read some beginner material.

• The definition shown in the image doesn't seem to answer this question. ("an economical board"?) Although it's a community wiki, I'm not sure if it's correct to change it drastically... – broccoli forest Jan 15 at 17:11
  • @broccoliforest drasticに変えるか補足を追記していただければ助かります…w – naruto Jan 15 at 17:17
  • やってみます………………………… – broccoli forest Jan 16 at 2:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.