Google translate keeps saying that it means 'in the middle of a snowfall'. Is the sentence a proverb or a figure of speech? Well...in short, I am confused.

Many Thanks

• Zero bearing on anything but immediately RADWIMPS came to mind. Context might play a role in determining which of the two meanings for まどろみ is accurate. Is this from スパークル? – psosuna Feb 6 at 1:21

微睡み(まどろみ)means a nap or a small rest, when you get slightly drowsy. You also have a second meaning which is pretty much the opposite : a sound sleep.

Here is the source for もどろむ, the verb it is derived from : https://www.weblio.jp/content/%E5%BE%AE%E7%9D%A1%E3%82%80 (btw this dictionary is really a great online resource. You should probably bookmark it)

I know that 'まどろみ' means nap. My first thought is that the sentence means 'in the middle of a nap', which makes more sense to me. I'm just curious why google translates it as 'In the middle of a snowfall', even though there is no part for 'snow' in it. But thanks for the link, weblio looks really interesting. I''ll check it out.^^ – BlueNeko Jan 6 at 20:55
    That's not much of a mystery... Google translate is still pretty awful, especially when you give it strings of kana with fewer kanji. – Leebo Jan 6 at 22:57
  • oh no...didn't think they are THAT bad though....until now. They gave me good translation many times or good enough so I can figure it out myself. Well, at least my question is answered.^^ – BlueNeko Jan 7 at 0:26
  • The problem with Google Translate comes from the fact that, when you enter a single word, Translate will provide you with the most used word for translation in its corpus of text or a basic translation a user provided. Also, the result is often unnatural (especially for Japanese since Translate don't take into account the fact that a Japanese conversation needs sometimes a context to be translated/interpreted) – N Gillain Jan 9 at 0:59
    I've found cases where Google Translate provides "translations" with opposite valence ("yes" becomes "no", etc.) depending on how many newlines were included at the end of the segment -- i.e., where they shouldn't have any bearing at all on the meaning. Truly, caveat lector. – Eiríkr Útlendi Feb 6 at 0:19

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.