new in the language so I am having a hard time figuring out the meaning of this sentence. 'When it comes to dragons, you can't escape' would be my translation, but pretty sure I am wrong. If it doesn't take too much time, please give me a brief explanation about the grammar. Thanks a lot!

This sentence is using the grammar of classical/archaic Japanese. This sentence can be translated to modern Japanese as 竜とは逃げないものなので or 竜とは逃げないものですから.

• : "dragon"
  • とは: quotative と + thematic は, used to give a definition or an important characteristic of something. See: Use of とは when there doesn't seem to be comparison
  • 逃げ: "escape", the 未然形 ("irrealis form") of 逃ぐ, which is an archaic version of 逃げる
  • : "not", the 連体形 ("attributive form") of ず, which is an archaic negation marker (≒modern ない)
  • もの: "thing", "existence"
  • なれ: "is", the 已然形 ("realis form") of なり, which is an archaic copula (≒modern です/だ)
  • : "because", an archaic reason marker (≒modern ので/から)

竜とは逃げぬものなれば。
(It's) because a dragon is an existence that does not escape.
(It's) because dragons won't escape (from you).

• Ohhh, meaning they won't run away since they are strong beings. Thank you very much, your detailed explanation helps a lot.^^ – BlueNeko Jan 5 at 22:52

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.