i came across this phrase "酒飲めたんか" and i know that 酒 is probably referring to alcohol and 飲め probably means 'drinking' but the phrase ’たんか’ does not give me any result when i tried to search for it. I'm just guessing here but is this a slang for "I cannot drink anymore"/"I've finished drinking (from my cup)"?

In Kansai, we say 「~~たんか?」 to mean 「~~たのか?」.

「酒飲めたんか?」(Kansai) means 「酒は(orを)飲めたのか?」(Standard), "Could you drink / Were you able to drink sake/alcohol?"

(As you know, 飲めた is the past potential form of 飲む.)

i didn't realize it was specifically here in Kansai area... no other areas have that expression? – ericfromabeno Jan 4 at 3:57
  • oh i see! i didn't take into context that it might be written in the Kansai dialect at all! thank you so much for the clarification! – harurookies Jan 4 at 5:25
  • @ericfromabeno そうですね・・ I think it's probably used in 四国, 中国地方, and maybe 九州 too.. I'm not sure though. たぶん。。 – Chocolate Jan 5 at 1:50

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.