I would appreciate it if someone could break down the grammar in this sentence for me and offer an English translation. What I am confused about is who the subject in this sentence is and whether '育てられ方' is in passive or some other grammatical form. Also, why 'をする' was used with '育てられ方'

友達が、両親からどのような育てられ方をしましたか。

This sentence seems a little strange to me. Is it really が that is following 友達? – naruto Jan 3 at 14:49
  • It is が. What seems strange about it to you? – Guestseverywhere Jan 3 at 14:57
    It is far more natural to use は there. – l'électeur Jan 3 at 15:03
  • It lacks the topic marker は. Is this an example sentence of a textbook made by a nonnative speaker? Or is this a part of a longer article? If the latter is the case, could you share the context? – naruto Jan 3 at 15:08

友達両親からどのような育てられ方をしましたか。
How was the friend raised by his/her parents?

pre-masu form + 方【かた】 forms a noun phrase meaning "way of ~", or "how ~". For example 食べ方 is "the way of eating it" or "how to eat it". Combined with some adjectival expression, it also works as a suru-verb. For example 彼は面白い考え方をする means "His way of thinking is interesting".

• 育てる: "to raise (a child)"
  • 育てられる: the passive form of 育てる, "to be raised"
  • 育てられ: the pre-masu/continuative form of 育てられる
  • 育てられ方: "the way of being raised"

The subject of the whole sentence is 友達, but I believe 友達 should be marked with は because it must be a definite person, i.e., 友達 must have been introduced in the universe of discourse.

• This was very helpful! Thank you very much. – Guestseverywhere Jan 3 at 16:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.