I was trying to say "I write slow".

I figured it would be:

おそい(が)かく。

But a native speaker didn't understand me and said it was:

かくのがおそい。

Now I understand how の after a verb makes it a noun, but I always thought the verb had to be last. Why would you need to make it a noun if its the only acting verb? Is there a reason why the way I said the sentence is wrong?

Thank you.

In Japanese, the verb (or adjective) has to be at the end of the clause, so it can very well be in the middle of a sentence.

おそい(が)かく

Is wrong because it doesn't make any sense. In this case, が would mean "but".

Even if you wrote:

おそいかく

It would be wrong because you cannot qualify a verb (here かく) with an adjective (here おそい), it would literally mean "slow write".

In:

かくのがおそい

You first nominalize the verb かく with の as you already know it makes it act like a noun. And then you qualify this nominal group with が/はおそい.

And the full idea is basically "(my) writing is slow", so you can make an English version where the verb becomes a noun too. – Leebo Dec 29 '18 at 14:42
  • Yes, feel free to edit my answer if you want to add your translation – user32204 Dec 29 '18 at 21:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.