I can't find much about it but I found an example to illustrate it:

温めますか

Do you want it heated? weblio

I don't understand how the dictionary form can have the meaning 'to want' and what is the difference with てもらいたいですか, てほしいですか, etc.

• I’ve seen people saying 食べる when “offering food” to a friend, I guess it’s more like “will you eat?”, it should be one of the cases where it’s just a thing from Japanese language where there’s not counterpart in English – Felipe Oliveira Dec 25 '18 at 23:42
    温めますか just means like "Do I heat it up?", there is nothing special about it and I think it's different from asking someone something like "食べる?" for "will you eat it/do you want to eat it" – user32204 Dec 26 '18 at 0:34

Based on what I know,

Instead of saying "want" (ーたい), it's more polite to say "shall I" (ーましょうか).

If you want to ask someone if they want something heated, it would be polite to say this:

温めましょうか?

Apparently 温めますか is often said in the konbini so your answer doesn't seem to work. – Sante Kyaku Dec 26 '18 at 16:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.