Context: Jobs are being appointed and one of the minions is given a simple job of wrecking some place. The minion exclaims how simple it is (not the smartest cookie) and then the job giver (the strategist minion) says:

あなたはそれでよいのです

I'm not excatly sure about the meaning here of the それでよい bit.

I'm assuming that で here is in it's cause and effect use. Like "If that (is done/is simple for you) then it's good/well/okay". I'm not sure if it's being said that:

1. "It will be fine if you do that"
  2. "You'll do good/perform excellently if you do that"
  3. "It's good that it's simple for you/that you understand".
  4. something else?

PS: More context:

Minion 1: LeaderさまLeaderさま, 結局ボクは何すればいいの?

Minion 2 (the strategist): Minion 1はあの辺りを掘り返して Leaderを悪く言う相手を叩きのめせばよいのですよ

Minion 1: シンプル!

Minion 2: あなたはそれでよいのです

Do you have the exact Japanese conversation? – user32204 Dec 20 '18 at 22:13
    You are asking about それ without sharing the original previous context... That's not good... – naruto Dec 21 '18 at 16:19
  • I mean, there isn't much more than I mention in the first sentence. It's basically: Minion 1: What should I do? Minion 2: Go wrekc shit over there. Minion 1: Sweet! Minion 2: Do that! <the bit I don't completelly get. – 4th Dimension Dec 22 '18 at 19:10
  • Doesn't direct translation "You are fine with that" make sense? – user4092 Dec 23 '18 at 1:22
  • So basically they are saying if that job is done the minion has done their thing. – 4th Dimension Dec 23 '18 at 11:39

So this それでよい implies "That's all I expect about you", or "If you can do this (simple) task, that's already enough to me". The leader is implying there are more important tasks, but they are not suitable for this minion.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.