As stated in the title - what is the correct reading of 血泡? I couldn't find a definitive answer (Jisho does not know this word at all, Google Translate thinks it should be kehhou, which seems unlikely). I ran across this in a book and while the translation seems clear ('blood bubbles' or 'bubbles of blood'), I'm not sure about the reading.

This is not an answer per-se. I did research into the word and it appears to be Chinese. So the reading in Japanese is a guessing game since it doesn't appear to be an actual Japanese word.

The candidates (including unlikely candidates)

• けっぽう
  • けっほう
  • けつほう (probably definitely not this)
  • ちあわ

Opinion: I would bet on ちあわ for reading it since it would be two separate words in Japanese 血(ち) and 泡(あわ). In this particular case I don't think you'd join the kanji's on-yomi reading rendaku'd or otherwise. Also, typing all 4 spellings into my Japanese keyboard and ちあわ was the only one that came up for a match at all and it was the first match.

Edit: Chocolate said and linked to the fact that けっぽう gives several page hits. けっほう also gives some too. ちあわ also gives a few. This doesn't suggest that any of these answers are right though, just that a group of people were swayed towards one spelling over another.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.