How does one say "it's the principle of the thing", in particular for when giving feedback.

For example, it's not the 1$ over change but the principle of the matter. (as in the one dollar doesn't really matter but the principle of being overcharged is what is at issue).

I took a look at ALC and it gave me 原則{げんそく} and 基礎{きそ} but these don't really seem to fit the definition very well.  

主義{しゅぎ} is a principle or rule. I think this would apply to your personal principles or values.

So for the "it is the principle that matters", you could respond:

私の主義ですから。

Since it is my principle.

Alternatively:

主義が重要ですから。

Since it is the principle that is important.

For a less literal translation, Jisho.org gives the meaning of 物{もの}の道{どう}理{り} as the "principle of the thing". So the most fitting phrase would be:

物の道理ですから。

It is the principle of the thing.

Whoever downvoted, this answer, please add a comment for why – paullb Dec 16 '18 at 14:06
    + 1 for a well-researched and proper answer. If I may add, in actual conversation I'd translate this to something like、「問題は1ドルの過剰請求ではなく、過剰請求自体がされていることだ」(The problem is not being overcharged by $1, but by being overcharged itself.) Good luck on getting the reason for the downvote though. I myself have experienced it a few times in my short time here. People here sometimes don't give consideration to the time and effort exerted in giving a proper answer. IMO giving a reason for a downvote should be made a rule, as without one, it's very discouraging to give an answer. – DXV Dec 17 '18 at 1:23
  • @DXV ah, 自体 also is a really good word for the situation as well! Thanks! (I think it deserves in be in an answer rather than a comment so others can see it in the future) – paullb Dec 17 '18 at 1:41
  • Thank you, I wouldn't count on it any time soon. In my experience, this occurs more on the Japanese site than other SE sites. I fear this discourages new contributors which I think has been raised on the meta. Still I try to help where I can. – Tom Kelly Dec 17 '18 at 1:51
  • @TomKelly yes I just read the meta. I'm one of those discouraged to answer. Thanks but sorry paullb. – DXV Dec 17 '18 at 2:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.