In response to my question about くすぐったい, I was told of the specific suffix in use, the "ったい." What is this ったい / -ttai suffix called in English and in Japanese (or what would one call it if it does not have a specific name)? What exactly does it connote? Would someone be kind enough to provide me with a brief list of Japanese words using this suffix? (I found Dono's romanization hard to understand {sorry})

  • m.youtube.com/watch?v=LcTre93Ilyg&t=0m57s
    – user458
    Aug 3 '12 at 2:29
  • Are you referring to japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/6378/… Aug 3 '12 at 2:56
  • 5
    Do you expect that each suffix in Japanese has a name (in English or Japanese) other than the suffix itself? Aug 3 '12 at 4:41
  • 2
    I do not think that that is a reasonable expectation. For example, what is the name of suffix “-ish” as in word “English” in English? Linguists may have a technical term to refer to a particular suffix, but I do not know one. Aug 3 '12 at 14:45
  • 4
    If I am not mistaken, the term “derivational suffix” usually means a suffix which changes parts-of-speech. It just describes one particular property of the suffix “-ish.” If you want a term which describes a certain property of suffix -ったい, please specify which property you want to describe. Otherwise, there is no way to answer that part of your question. Aug 3 '12 at 15:28

Some from a standard dictionary (using ending-by search) 厚{あつ}ぼったい (thick), はれぼったい (puffy), 口{くち}幅{はば}ったい (bragging), じれったい (impatient), 平{ひら}べったい (flat), 野暮{やぼ}ったい (uncouth).

It's interesting to me how many of these have a ば row kana before the ったい, and ぼったい appears in the dictionary, as being something that attaches to the stem of a i-adjective or verb (basically as a strengthener).

This form seems common in 遠州弁{えんしゅうべん}, for example as in this site which splits the words into plain ったい and ぼったい ending versions, and also in 静岡弁{しずおかべん}.


Reading your conversation with Tsuyoshi ito in the comments, I guess you are asking whether -ttai is a derivational affix or an inflectional one. It is a derivational one.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.