There's the movie "Seven Samurai", which would sound strange as "Seven Samurais", but in the news you often read about "hundreds of tsunamis". Some people say they know 500 kanjis, but I've always thought 500 kanji sounded more correct. Is there any standard way to pluralize Japanese words that are used in English?

(Not sure if this is a good question for here, seeing as it's more about English.)

closed as off topic by Amanda S, Alenanno, Derek Schaab, Louis, Tsuyoshi Ito Jun 5 '11 at 17:48

Questions on Japanese Language Stack Exchange are expected to relate to the Japanese language within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • Yeah, this is a question about English. You might post it on the English SE but before you do it, check if there are duplicates of your question. :D – Alenanno Jun 5 '11 at 17:14
  • This is a really good question, but I agree with Alenanno that it relates to English language and usage, not Japanese language and usage. Voting to close as off-topic. – Amanda S Jun 5 '11 at 17:21
  • I thought it mightn't fit. OK, close it so. – nevan king Jun 5 '11 at 17:26
  • 5
    I agree that this is off-topic, but I love the question. Could you provide a link here if you decide to post it to a different SE? – Derek Schaab Jun 5 '11 at 17:31
  • 1
    @Derek, may be "this" is kind of similar question on English.SE site – YOU Jun 6 '11 at 10:23

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.