Can someone please tell me what the name Moki means in English? And is it a boy's or girl's name?

Thank you

closed as off-topic by broccoli forest, Dono, Blavius, ajsmart, user3856370 Dec 16 '18 at 11:31

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "Questions asking for translations, transcriptions or proofreading are off-topic unless prior research effort is clearly indicated; we're here to help you learn, not to provide a bulk translation service nor to proofread your translations or transcriptions. See: We don't do translations." – Dono, ajsmart, user3856370
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Are you sure that it's a Japanese name? Moreover, a given name? – broccoli forest Dec 14 '18 at 2:39

(Translation requests are generally not allowed on this site, so this issue might be closed by site moderators.)

There's a fellow named Jim Breen who maintains a few online dictionaries, including a name dictionary. Looking up "Moki" on his site, we find that this is an unusual name -- only three instances pop up.

• 茂木【もき】 (s) Moki
  • 茂幾【もき】 (s) Moki
  • 毛木【もき】 (u) Moki

Here, the (s) indicates a surname, and the (u) indicates an as-yet-unclassified name. (Code legend available here.) I'll guess here that the last bullet point is also a surname.

In terms of what "Moki" means, I must caution that Japanese names are sometimes not very directly connected to meaning, much like names in English or other languages. If we just go from the meanings inherent in the kanji spellings, we have:

• 茂木【もき】: "lush" + "tree"
  • 茂幾【もき】: "lush" + "how many"
  • 毛木【もき】: "hair, hairy" + "tree"

Hope that helps!

• Thank you! It's a name for my cat so Hairy Tree is quite fitting :) – Kay Dec 13 '18 at 23:47

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.