MC spots girls A and B who he recently got to know. C = childhood friend of MC.

A「あ、先輩。こんにちは」

MC「おう、A。Bも一緒か」

B「何よ、アンタだってC先輩たちといつも一緒じゃない」

MC「何だよ、仲良いなって意味で言っただけだぞ」

B「アンタが言うとそう聞こえないのよね、不思議ー」

MC「ヒネくれてんなー、さすがはレンチだけある」

B「ヒネる工具だけに?って、全然上手くないわよ!!」

(MC) おお、意外にノリがいいな。

MC:「おう、A。Bも一緒か」

B:「What about it, aren't you always with C-sempai?」

MC:「Huh、I'm only talking in terms of how close you two seem.」

B:「If you say that, I don't hear it that way (feels like you were insinuating more), strange.」

MC:「Rebellious aren't you, as expected of just a wrench.」 (a play on ひねくる vs ひねくれる)

B:「As expected from a wrench tool? That was not a good joke at all!!」

(MC) Unexpectedly she got the joke.

"仲良いな"って意味 and ヒネくれてんなー are normal sentence ending な, but how was ヒネくれてん abbreviated?

What are the な in レンチだけ and ヒネる工具だけに?

what are the な in レンチなだけ and ヒネる工具なだけに -- The な's are the attributive form of the auxiliary (or the copula) 「だ」, and not the particle な. It's #1 in dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/162228/meaning/m0u/%E3%81%AA – Chocolate Dec 12 '18 at 17:18
  • why was this use here/ when would you choose to use this? – charu Dec 12 '18 at 20:03
    ^ そうですね... 明鏡国語辞典 says: だけに〘連語〙➊...(語法) 名詞には、直接つける用法のほか、「…なだけに」「…であるだけに」の形でもいう。「まだ 子供だけに/まだ子供なだけに/子供であるだけに」. 工具 is a noun, so you can do with or without the な. Both 「ヒネる工具だけに」 and 「ヒネる工具だけに」 sound fine, and I don't see semantic difference here. And 明鏡 also gives examples: だけ〘副助〙➏...「さすが音楽家だけのことはある」▹「…だけ(のことは)あって」の形で.... レンチ is a noun, so you can do without the な, saying 「さすがはレンチだけ(のことは)ある」 . – Chocolate Dec 13 '18 at 15:29

are normal sentence ending な but what how was ヒネくれてん abbreviated?

てん is a short slang form to ている

what are the な in レンチなだけ and ヒネる工具なだけに?

According to The Dictionary of Advanced Japanese Grammar, the pattern (さすがに)~なだけのことはある is an evaluative comment on something contributing to a remarkable, expected result. I presume なだけある is a short version of なだけのことはある...

So, the result in your case, is ひねくれる, and the natural reason contributing to this, is, that B is a レンチ.

I've found the same question asked also here, for reference to the short form: https://eikaiwa.dmm.com/uknow/questions/4278/

Re: "てん is a short slang form to ている", the contraction proceeds from ~ている → ~てる, and then only collapses to ~てん if the following word starts with a nasal or other voiced consonant. For instance, やっているが → やってんが, but やっているけど → やってるけど. Sometimes you'll still see やってんけど or similar, in which case the contraction includes a の: やっているのか → やってるのか → やってんのか → やってんか. – Eiríkr Útlendi Dec 12 '18 at 17:48
  • @charu, please refer to the Formation (ii) section: Adj(na) + な/だった + だけのことはある – detewe89 Dec 13 '18 at 10:01
    ^ Adj(na) + な/だった + だけのことはある <-- でも・・・ 「レンチ」「工具」って、na-adjective じゃなくて、名詞ですよね。。 – Chocolate Dec 13 '18 at 15:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.