I'm playing a visual novel that gives LECTURES on how different types of guns work and other real life how-to-use-weapon facts; when I come across the following after my character has test-fired a S&W for the first time.

Teacher assassin: たとえ急所を外しても、太めの血管に当てにただけで相手は即死よ

Teacher assassin: 衝撃で血が逆流して, 心臓が破裂するから

The English Subtitles say that the above translates to

"Even if the bullet misses a crucial area, the enemy will die instantaneously. The shock forces the blood backwards and the heart bursts."

However, after posting a question as far as fact-checking the translated statement on Quora, I've gotten a lot of flack from military experts and nurses, who say that the above is not possible. So now I'm wondering, did the original translator mistranslate, OR is it a case of the game-makers Not verifying the truthfulness of those two lines of dialogue before giving Ein-sensei her dialogue?

And what does にただけで mean in the above sentence?

The translation is almost correct.

たとえ急所を外しても、太めの血管に当てただけで相手は即死よ

Even if the bullet misses a crucial area, the enemy will die instantaneously only by hitting a thicker vessel,

衝撃で血が逆流して, 心臓が破裂するから

because the shock forces the blood backwards and the heart bursts.

にただけで is a typo. The correct sentence should be without the .

たとえ急所を外しても、太めの血管に当てただけで相手は即死よ

• "only by hitting a thicker vessel" is the important part. The English subtitles completely ignored the "太めの血管に" part of the original Japanese. – yushi Dec 11 '18 at 6:43
  • I on one hand want to cry, as EVEN THE FREAKING JAPANESE SUBTITLES have mistakes/typos, and the English subtitles miss important parts for this one line, and on the other hand, I want to grin and laugh, as I've gotten the correct (more correct?) translation for Ein's dialogue! – Toyu_Frey Dec 11 '18 at 15:33
  • I don't think it was necessarily ignored. The translator or editor might've wanted to improve readability here, and the line left untranslated doesn't seem terribly too important. – user26484 Dec 11 '18 at 18:41
  • @user26484 the line left untranslated could mean the difference between a correct and factual statement being made, and a incorrect statement that is then believed to be true (factual) by someone who doesn't bother factchecking the actual Japanese-English translation... until they get embarrassing flack for it on a q&a site. – Toyu_Frey Dec 11 '18 at 23:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.