My friend is creating a word card application to help people memorize Japanese words / Kanji. The subject of what to call the application came up and he asked me for some suggestions. One of the requirements is that it's a very simple name with the word Japanese in English and then something else.

I suggested "Japanese 語" be the name of the application and I would like to get some input from the people here.

I already looked up the meaning of 語 but what I would like to know is does it look totally confusing or make some sense with the English word "Japanese" before it.

I can clearly understand the meaning but it sounds a bit awkward. And since the 'ese' part of Japanese means 語 anyway, how about just "Japan語" (Japango). It sounds snappier. By the way opinion based questions are off-topic on this site so the question will probably be closed. – user3856370 Dec 9 '18 at 11:28
  • the 'ese' part of Japanese means 語 -ese is used as a suffix to form adjectives and nouns describing things and characteristics of a city, region, or country. As a noun, Japanese means those things of Japan, and can only be interpreted as「語」if the context is clear. Comprehensive references such as encyclopedias refer to 日本語 as Japanese language, not just Japanese - I'm rather surprised at the interpretations here reading "Japanese 語" as Japanese -ese, when my first impression is that it should be read as just Japanese language. – droooze Dec 12 '18 at 0:19

I would say it's indeed confusing at least to native Japanese speakers.

• 語 meaning word is not really common outside academic contexts. Words listed on a word card/list are usually called 単語 by Japanese people who study foreign languages.
  • 語 is also a suffix meaning language or -ese. For example 日本 means Japan and 日本語 means Japanese. When I see "Japanese 語", I can't help reading it as something weird like "Japanese-ese".

"Japanese 単語" would be at least not confusing.

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.