I saw the word 歪形 written in a food blog and was surprised to learn that the reading is いがみなり (Weblio Definition). If this were a standard case of jukujikun, I think it would be read differently. And it is definitely not standard ateji either since the meanings of the kanji are clearly being employed. The いがみ part seems to resemble ゆがみ and also has the い of いびつ - is it possible that it is some kind of hybrid of these two readings? Is なり sometimes used as a type of glossary reading of the kanji 形?

Those just happen to be one reading of each of those characters. From my dictionary (using Gjiten with edict in Linux)

• [歪]{いが}む → to warp; to swerve; to deflect; to be crooked; to be distorted; to be bent; to incline; to slant; to be perverted; to be gross-grained; to get bent; to be strained;
    • [歪]{いが}み → (n) strain; distortion; deformation; bend;
  • [形]{なり} → (n,adj-no) (uk) style; way; shape; form; appearance; state;

So it's not a 熟字訓; just two 訓読みs together.

| improve this answer | |
  • I see. I was using 三省堂 スーパー大辞林 and it gave 啀む for いがむ. But I can see it listed as 歪む in some other sources now. Thanks. – kandyman Dec 7 '18 at 17:08

You might be aware of Japanese indigenous language (和語 wago) before Chinese words were imported.

Imported Chinese characters having same/similar meaning were applied to Wago but still being pronounced as the way it was. It is said kun-yomi. While on-yomi is as you know well.

Wago "いがむ" and "ゆがむ" are phonetic variations, while "いびつ" has worse connotation of being incomplete, so that, I believe they would be reluctant to use いびつ at formal occasions such as dining gatherings.

Wago "なり" means 形. Like in idiom of なりふり構わず, なり is 形 and ふり is 振 or 挙動 in modern Japanese.

So, wago いがみなり means 歪んだ形 and it can be written as 歪形. But I believe very few Japanese people can read it いがみなり, when they encounter 歪形 on a paper or monitor screen. Very possibly they will read it as わいけい, and I feel nobody can blame them because wago いがみなり is not a general vocabulary for modern Japanese life.

いがみなり is an archaic word and modern Japanese people will use 歪んだ形 for expressing same matter.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.