I noticed the rare reading of メン contained in the word 雌鳥{めんどり} and I wondered how this unusual reading could have come about. I am not aware of any other words which use this reading for 雌. Is it simply that めんどり is easier to say than めすとり or めすどり ? If that is the case, shouldn't 雌トラ be めんどら? Or is there a different reason such as the reading being a relic from an archaic pronunciation?

• This dictionary has an entry for めん, so perhaps it is used for other words: dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/218072/meaning/m1u/めん .I don't know of any though. Also there is the parallel おん which means 雄(おす). I agree it's probably because it's easier to say (there are some other words like 甘えん坊 which I am guessing came from 甘える坊, though not certain of it) – Locksleyu Dec 7 '18 at 17:00

According to デジタル大辞泉...

めん‐どり【▽雌鳥】
《「めどり」の音変化》...

おん‐どり〔をん‐〕【▽雄鳥】
《「おとり」の音変化》...

And 大辞林 says...

めんどり【雌鳥】
〔「めどり」の撥音添加〕

おんどり【雄鳥】
〔「おとり」の転〕

So it seems...

めどり → (撥音添加) → めんどり  
おとり → (撥音添加 + 連濁) → おんどり

Some examples of 撥音添加 include...

みな(皆) → みんな
なにも(何も) → なんにも
おなじ(同じ) → おんなじ
こぶ(昆布) → こんぶ
とび(鳶) → とんび

(But you don't call female tiger as めんどら...) 

UPDATE:

As pointed out by @Eiríkr in the comments below, it might be more reasonable to think of it as...

め(す)のとり → contraction(の→ん)+連濁(と→ど) → めんどり

... Now I'm not totally sure... Let's wait for others to post better answers! ^^

• Although the dictionaries do not mention it, I have to wonder if this wasn't so much of an unexplained 変化【へんか】, but instead a simple contraction of の to ん, with associated 連濁【れんだく】 for the following word. – Eiríkr Útlendi Dec 7 '18 at 17:47
  • あ~・・ 「め(す) + の + とり」→「め + ん + どり」ってことね・・・ – Chocolate Dec 7 '18 at 17:51
  • その通りです。「みな」→「みんな」や「とび」→「とんび」等の場合では、撥音が単に伸びることですが、「おとり」→「おんどり」では、撥音はそもそもないですから、「撥音がどうやって生じるか」は不思議に思われます。 – Eiríkr Útlendi Dec 7 '18 at 17:56
  • I can see how みな would become みんな but I don't understand why とび becomes とんび. There's no contraction and there's not very much overlap phonetically between と and び. Is it a known case of a particular phenomenon? Or was it originally とんび and the ん became elided? – kandyman Dec 7 '18 at 18:20
  • @kandyman: The び is already nasalized as a voiced obstruent. The addition of ん before voiced obstruents is a common shift in various flavors of Japanese, such as たび→たんび in Tōhoku speech. – Eiríkr Útlendi Dec 7 '18 at 18:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.