I am trying to translate a song and it's pretty difficult one and I'm unsure just what kind of meaning these lyrics have:

この手を伝う 一本の孤独は
人の色が 褪せたままで

My problem is with 一本 because I have always used it as a counter and the word after this is 孤独, so I don't quite understand well. I looked up on Jisho and there is this meaning of: "single-minded focus on ...​"
Can someone give some examples and a better explanation when it's used this way, when it is not used as a counter?

If this is from this song, "一本の孤独 that runs on my hand/arm" refers to his radial artery (or maybe a red line made by the flowing blood). This is not an idiomatic phrase nor a common metaphor, so you just need to understand the whole context of this song. 一本気 is not relevant at all.

• It sounded a bit strange to me at first, because I could have easily translated "This solitude that runs through these hands", but I wanted if I could place more emphasis due to those words. – Alice B. Rabbit Dec 5 at 14:39
  • @AliceB.Rabbit 本 perhaps works as a hint about what 孤独 refers to (what is a thin and long thing on the arm?), but I don't think there is an important emphasis. – naruto Dec 5 at 14:43
  • The fact that it was connected with 孤独, which means loneliness is what made it a bit weird for me. The rest of the lyrics do give imagery of hands, veins/pulse and all that, but what I wrote above was just a tad weird, because I couldn't count loneliness, right? xD – Alice B. Rabbit Dec 5 at 14:51
  • @AliceB.Rabbit Yes this is a fairly weird expression in isolation, but also is a valid metaphor if there is enough context. The first thing I did after reading your question was to google this phrase for the entire lyrics. – naruto Dec 6 at 1:34

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.