For full context: https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/web_tokushu/2018_1130.html?utm_int=news_contents_tokushu_002

The following sentence: 死産や流産のあと「早く忘れた方がいい」「次の子どもを」と言われ、傷つく母親たち。

My attempt at translation: "After a stillbirth or miscarriage, it is said by wounded parents 'It's better to quickly forget' or '[think about] the next baby'".

What irritates me is the lack of the に particle in と言われ 傷つく母親たち. Id expect it to be と言われ 傷つく母親たちに。

I could also imagine it being translated as "After a miscarriage or stillbirth, there are wounded parents by whom it is said '...'..."

But I also must admit that Im a bit confused by the conjunctive form 言われ. There is no second verb which would make it necessary.

The entirety of 死産や流産のあと「早く忘れた方がいい」「次の子どもを」と言われ、傷つく modifies 母親たち。言われ is the 連用形 of 言われる, and connects to 傷つく. (Semantically 言われ、傷つく = 言われて、傷つく)

Therefore the sentence means "mothers who are hurt by others telling them that they should quickly forget, or hope for another child, after a stillbirth or miscarriage."

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.