Just wanted to know how to apply the りする to a verb when saying something like "I want to visit japan and eat food." I've seen "今度の 夏休みに 川に行ったり、海に行ったりします" but is it as simple as putting り after the ta-form for all things listed prior to the last action?

up vote 4 down vote accepted

You can use 「~たり~たりします」 "do things like ~~ and ~~" to list two or more actions. So your sentence means...

今度の夏休みに川に行ったり、海に行ったりします
In my next summer vacation I'll do things like going to the river and going to the beach. (~たり~たり implies you'll probably do other things too.)

If you want to say "I want to do things like ~~ and ~~", you can use 「~たり~たりしたいです」, as in:

今度の夏休みに川に行ったり、海に行ったりしたいです
In my next summer vacation I want to do things like going to the river and going to the beach. (~たり~たり implies you probably want to do other things too.)

To say "I want to visit Japan and eat food", you could use the て form for connecting the two verb phrases, and the たい form for "want to~~" (e.g. 食べたい、飲みたい、見たい、行きたい...), as in:

日本に行っ、(日本の)食べ物を食べたいです。
I want to visit Japan and (then) eat the food (there).

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.