Context: A guy is trying to differentiate his group from an old group (nwo) because some people may think they are doing the exact same things nwo did in the past.

「よく『nWoジャパンと同じやないか』って、『あのパクリをしてるのか』みたいな、そんな同じようには見てほしくはないですね。『別物だよ』とそこは勘違いしていただきたくないですね。もし、思っている人がいるのであれば」

The last sentence seems to be saying: "don't confuse us as being a different thing". That sounds like: "We are not different than them" which I don't think makes sense. This is the translation from the US version:

And I hear that a lot. About nWo Japan. “Aren’t you just an nWo ripoff?” I don’t want people to think that. If anybody does I want to let them know we’re a different thing.’

Is there something omitted? what's そこ referring to?

up vote 4 down vote accepted

It's from an interview, so (as you might have noticed) its grammar is a bit iffy. I think you can understand it like...

『別物だよ』と(いうふうに考えて/思って)、そこは勘違いしていただきたくないですね。
(≂ 『別物だよ』と(いうふうに考えて/思って)、そこは勘違いしないでいただきたいですね。)

Literally: "I want them to think 'They're a different thing', and don't want them to misunderstand on that point."

I think the そこは is like "regarding that" or "on that point" (≂「その点は」).

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.