When looking online in dictionaries, I can't figure out what word to use to say the following:

An article I wrote has been published in a newspaper.




Are any/all of these correct?


発刊 is "to publish (an entire issue)". 著す is a (relatively uncommon) literary verb that means "to author/write (a book)." 掲載 is a reasonable word choice, but 掲載する is transitive.

After fixing the transitivity, we get:

(I noticed) (someone) had kindly published an article I wrote.

While this is now grammatical, this is a fairly nuanced sentence. For one, ~てくれる is probably not necessary unless you really have a reason to say it. For one, ~ていた means you just noticed the article had been already out for a while.

A natural way to say "~ is now published" is actually much simpler:

私が書いた記事が新聞で掲載された。 (or 掲載されました)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.