speaker is someone that normally fights demons, but fell for a trap set up by A, a human. Speaker has always hated A.

私としたことが……相手が、魔族じゃないと……Aごときと侮って、視野が狭くなってた…… pass out

I, of all people.... A...isn't a demon....underestimating (someone) like A, I became conceited.

from what i can tell ~と侮る seems common as ~を侮る

from 「たかが過換気」と侮ってはいけない, i assume that this is used as a quote to describe the preceeding claused just like "ミユキちゃんが結婚した"と知ってる

are both 相手が、魔族じゃない and Aごとき attached to 侮って or is it 「相手が、魔族じゃないと……Aごとき」と侮って?

more generally

If a random sentence had ~を侮る instead of ~と侮る, i probably wouldn't bat an eye. I suppose i could say the same for ~と知る vs ~を知る. CTRL-F'ing my past texts i found を知る is used 5x more often than と知る。

After this encountering this ~と侮る sentence i realized i really can't tell the difference between ~と知る vs ~を知る either.

Thank you for any clarifications.

(AをBと)侮る is one of the verbs that take both を and と and means "to (verb) A as B". The part marked by と can be a full quote (clause or mini-sentence), but it can be a bare noun or a noun phrase, too. As usual, both the を-part and the と-part may be omitted.

• Aを魔族じゃないと侮る
    to make light of A as not being a mazoku
  • 人(だ)と侮る
    to make light (of someone) as (being) a (mere) human being
  • 人を侮る
    to make light of human beings
  • たかが過換気(だ)と侮る
    (literally) to underestimate thinking it's mere hyperventilation / to underestimate hyperventilation
  • [×] たかが過換気を侮る (unnatural)
    [×] to underestimate mere hyperventilation (sounds like you have to underestimate something other than hyperventilation)

The difference between ~を知る and ~と知る is similar, but と usually takes a full quote (i.e., mini-sentence with a verb). In fixed expressions and literary expressions, noun + と知る exists.

• does that meant one of theと in 相手が魔族じゃないと、Aごときと侮る is redundant? – charu Nov 26 '18 at 5:44
    @charu It's just two と's used in parallel, somewhat like a list. The first と can be dropped, but it will be harder to parse this sentence without it. – naruto Nov 26 '18 at 5:47

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.