I came across the sentence

「新聞なんか見るわけないんじゃん」それが自慢になるかのように、こう言って智子は笑った。

I would translate the sentence as:

>There is no way I would read a newspaper or something< said Tomoko as if it would be something to be proud of and laughed.

First thing which confuses me is the usage of になる. If I had to write a sentence like that I would have written: それが自慢なことかのように Does the usage of になる imply that not reading newspapers is one of many things one/she could become proud of?

The second thing ist about 、こう. To me it seems like a breach in the sentence structure which disturbs the reading flow. I would have probably written …かのように言った智子は笑う。

Could I rephrase the sentence like that? Does the usage of 、こう emphasize the aspect that the first half is the impression of the protagonist while the later half is rather objective/for everyone to observe?

up vote 0 down vote accepted

When you look up #4 in goo辞書 or #6 in Jisho.org, you can find that Xになる means "function as X" or "play a role of X". So, それが自慢になる(かのように) means "(as if) it's accepted as her honor".

こう is just an demonstrative pro-adverb to indicate the contents in the parentheses. In other words, the sentence is the same as 智子は、それが自慢になるかのように「新聞なんか…」と言って笑った with a different word order.

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.