In the following sentence:

割れた彗星の一部は隕石となって、日本に落下。

Though it sounds strange and amateurish, I see 割れた as an adjective for 彗星. So what is the grammatical role of 割れた in this sentence? and if it is the case that somehow alike to the way past participle is used as an adjective in the English language, in the Japanese language た-form could be also used as an adjective?

• I would translate it as a past participle adjective, 'part of the broken comet...' Is it not generally taught that you can do this with Japanese relative clauses? – VeryCommonName Nov 24 at 4:22
    Why do you think it sounds strange and amateurish? – Aeon Akechi Nov 24 at 4:33
  • @VeryCommonName So I should work on "relative clauses", thanks – Quince Blossom Nov 24 at 4:39
  • @AeonAkechi Because it does not make any sense in the category of i-adjective and na-adjective, but again it has a strong sense of adjective – Quince Blossom Nov 24 at 4:43
    @QuinceBlossom Maybe it sounds less like an adjective if you read it as "comet that broke" rather than "broken comet". But relative clauses 'describe' the noun they modify, just like an adjective. – user3856370 Nov 24 at 8:55
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Could Vた-form be an adjective?

No, the past tense form doesn't change the nature of the word, it's still a verb even in the past tense.

Although it is most of the time translated in English as an adjective, the right way to understand it in Japanese is as below:

割れた彗星 : the comet that cracked

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.