I read this question and realised that I don't know what the natural way to make a title/section heading is.

Supposing I had a section in a science report which was "Designing the experiment". What would be natural ways to write this? Here are some guesses:

1) 実験を設計している
2) 実験を設計していること
3) 実験の設計

1) feels wrong to me. I'm not at all sure about 2). 3) Seems okay but it only works because I used a する verb.

Presumably the context is important too. Adding こと in 2) sounds formal. I guess I wouldn't see that in a magazine headline. What about "Eating in fancy restaurants" as the title of a magazine article. Would the verb be 食べている, 食べる or some other conjugation?

In summary, how do you write "Doing X" as a headline/title/section heading in formal and informal contexts?

up vote 1 down vote accepted

Suru-verbs are also nouns, so something like 実験計画 or 実験の計画 should be enough. (設計 is usually for product design.) Non-suru-verbs are uncommon in scientific articles in the first place. You should use 摂取/摂食/食事 instead of 食べること, 睡眠 instead of 寝ること, 閲覧/観察/確認/etc instead of 見ること, and so on. In addition, some established nouns formed from masu-stem are suitable in technical contexts, too.

• Maybe it's just because I've never seen them before, but 摂取 and 摂食 look like difficult words. Would they really be used for a light-hearted magazine article? In general though, your advice is to avoid using verbs, right? – user3856370 Nov 24 at 8:41

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.