Panel this is taken from for context. This is commentary about a school go tournament that will start soon.

あれ おまえも見にきたの?

なんかギャラリー多いな

海王中囲碁部はトップレベルだもん

見なきゃソンだよ

My translation attempt:

Oh, you came to look too? There's so much at this gallery [??] [Attempt 2: There's so much to see] [Attempt 3: So many people are here to watch]

The Kaiou Middle School Go Club is at a top level, so it would be a loss if you don't look.

I am wondering if maybe there is some Japanese usage of gallery that I am missing?

Fake EDIT: Judging from weblio I wonder if it might be sense 3:

③ ゴルフ・テニスなどの観客。また,観客のいる場所。

3: Spectators for golf, tennis and so on. Also, a place where spectators gather.

If that's the case, then I think my attempt 3 is on the right track but I am not sure.

I shouldn't answer in the comments, but I figured there might be someone with a more complete and interesting answer than just "yeah, you've got the idea". If no one shows up to provide a more useful answer, I will go ahead later and put my comment in the answer section. – ericfromabeno Nov 23 at 15:07
    actually, you are prefectly allowed to go ahead and put your own answer in the answer section, there's even a badge for doing that. ;) – ericfromabeno Nov 23 at 15:09
up vote 3 down vote accepted

It seems I may be right that in this case ギャラリー多いな means a lot of people gathered to watch, since sense 3 of ギャラリー according to Weblio is ゴルフ・テニスなどの観客 "spectators for golf, tennis and so on" as I said above. Since this is about a gathering at a go tournament, this interpretation seems to make the most sense.

English 'gallery' has a similar sense - 'the people watching some sort of event', extended from the place where people sit to watch. – Sjiveru Nov 24 at 6:05

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.