This is from deceze, but what is the counter used for doors. Is it 枚(mai) or something else?

  • Looks like 枚 or 本 is ok, but I never heard of that myself.
    – YOU
    Jun 5, 2011 at 14:39

1 Answer 1


According to this page, it's 一枚、一本 (いちまい, いっぽん). Found it under 戸 (と).

  • 1
    wow, great link btw. Should probably get that added to the FAQ Jun 5, 2011 at 15:45
  • 4
    I would use 一枚. In fact, I did not know that a door can be counted as 一本. Jun 5, 2011 at 16:07
  • That site seems to fall back on 一本 for a few things which aren't cylindrical (e.g. 大仏). Maybe they were talking about revolving doors?
    – nevan king
    Jun 5, 2011 at 16:14
  • 2
    @nevan: (1) I think that the website states 大仏 is counted as 一体. But I started to be a little worried about the correctness of the website, seeing that it shows the pronunciation of 大仏 as たいぶつ while the correct pronunciation is だいぶつ. (2) I would not count revolving doors as 一本 either, but it is hard to say how to count them because I have never encountered the situation where I have to count them. Jun 5, 2011 at 16:22
  • 1
    Note that 戸 itself is actually a counter, but is mostly (only?) used to count number of houses. The same way "three doors down" actually means "3 houses down" or "3 rooms down" in English.
    – istrasci
    Jun 5, 2011 at 18:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.