I have heard a Japanese teacher explain how long vowels should be pronounced and how they should be written when using hiragana. That's what I saw on the whiteboard:

がっこう - gakkoo, (not gakkou)

Is it correct? I understand that the sound is pretty much the same. But if it's gakkoo, then the hiragana version should be がっこお, which is not OK.

• Of course there are always the exceptions, the first of which that comes to mind is 大き (おおき). The others that I know have slipped my mind at the moment. – squidlydeux Nov 23 '18 at 12:43

Do you know there are several romanization systems, each of which treats long vowels fairly differently? This Wikipedia article is a good starter.

がっこう

• Nihon-shiki/Kunrei-shiki system: gakkô
  • Hepburn system: gakkō (although there are many variants)
  • Passport-shiki system: gakko
  • JSL: gakkoo
  • Wāpuro style: gakkou

If your teacher is using JSL, "gakkoo" is the correct Romanized spelling. Nevertheless, the only correct spelling in hiragana is がっこう.

• A long "o" sound is typically written as おお only at the start of a word (e.g. おおきい), and as おう elsewhere, such as in がっこう. Just to make things more confusing, in katakana all long vowels tend to be marked with a dash, e.g. オーストラリア (o-sutoraria for Australia) or カード (ka-do for card). – ConMan Nov 22 '18 at 23:40
  • Then there are cases like Inoue which are read Ino-ue and not inoo-e – Igor Skochinsky Nov 24 '18 at 10:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.