I saw this:

アンさんはべんきょうをおしえるひとです。

Is this a correct sentence? I got confused with おしえる人. I thought we cannot follow a verb with another noun without nominalizing it with either の or こと. Should this be おしえるの人?

That's not nominalized. – Aeon Akechi Nov 19 '18 at 8:32

This is a very important construction called a relative clause.

[教]{おし}える[人]{ひと}
a person who teaches

The rule is described in detail in this question: Relative clauses distinguishing whom/with which/that

• I am so sorry I am still confused. I read the link you posted but I have some questions hope you can help. If おしえるひと is a relative clause then what is こと and の for? Are they called nominalizers? When will I know that I need nominalizers on a verb? Because おしえる is a verb and the reason why I thought I need a nominalizer is because I will use おしえる to describe 人 so in a way I use it as an adj. 👈 what is wrong in this line of thinking? – Shiniboi Nov 19 '18 at 19:42
  • Please check what is wrong with my understanding : アンさんは人です - is the main sentence. Since I want to add more info about what kind of person アンさん is I need something that will describe 人. I have the sentence アンさんは勉強をおしえるです (?) and I will add it to 人 so it will be 勉強をおしえる add の to 人 because that is one noun phrase? Should の be added to verb if and only if it is not in a relative sentence? – Shiniboi Nov 19 '18 at 19:59
    @Shiniboi Use a nominalizer when you want to turn a verb into a noun. Use a relative clause when you want to use a verb as an adjective. Don't add の when you use a relative clause. Something like 教えるの人 is always ungrammatical in Japanese. – naruto Nov 20 '18 at 0:35

In general, it is safe to use a verb directly before a noun. There is no modification needed. If you add の after a verb, you turn it into a noun. Two nouns cannot be connected directly, there has to be a の inbetween, as in 私の本.

HTH Zeyuan

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.