In this sentence :

接しているうち、彼女の魅力を感じせずにはいられません。

can I translate 接しているうち as "While getting to know her "? (and then : " X cannot help but to feel her charm " ? )

So it would end up being : " If I/you get to know her, I/you won't be able but to feel her charm" ?

Or am I completely off? Also are there others words or (better) ways of saying : "To get to know someone" in Japanese?

Thanks.

• Is this a quote or you’re trying E->J translation? – Igor Skochinsky Nov 18 at 13:23
    "感じずには" <- It should be a typo of 感じずには... – Chocolate Nov 18 at 14:21
  • @Chocolate Thanks, Chocolate, so the 例文 is bad? or atleast at that spot? – お星座 Nov 18 at 14:54
  • @IgorSkochinsky Anki deck full of 例文, after reverse googling it, I found this translation next to it : "Once you get to know her, you won’t be able to resist her charm." – お星座 Nov 18 at 14:55
    Just that part. 「接しているうち、彼女の魅力を感じずにはいられません。」 would sound natural. – Chocolate Nov 18 at 23:44
up vote 2 down vote accepted

接する literally means "to contact with ~", and 接する itself does not mean "to know". "To get to know her" is not entirely wrong at least in this context, but I think a closer translation is something like "to spend time with her" or "to speak with her".

• @お星座 Hmm, 知り合う is a one-time event, so you cannot use it with うちに. – naruto Nov 19 at 15:04

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.