I'm sure 椅子 is more common but I can't find any information on the nuance of 席

The difference here is very much like the difference between chair and seat/seating in English.

椅子 quite literally means chair. See jisho.org as well as Google image search results.

is a slightly more abstract term primarily used to mean "somewhere to sit", in the same way seating is used in English. could be a chair, or a bench, or a cushion on the ground. Phrases such as:

この席、空いていますか? (Is this seat open?)

席が足りません。 (There isn't enough seating.)

Are fairly common, and while you might be understood even if you replaced with 椅子, it would sound very literal - you'll just be talking about chair(s).

Note that there is also a word 座席, which is quite similar to with minor differences as described here.

• I'm not sure substituting 「椅子」 would make it sound at all unnatural, but it would make it clear that you're asking specifically about a chair (in the first) or talking about the number of chairs specifically (in the second). – Sjiveru Nov 18 '18 at 9:42
  • Fair enough, it's a little ambiguous. 椅子 in the first one sounds unnecessarily specific to me, but I'll update the post - this may just be personal preference on my part. – Mindful Nov 18 '18 at 10:46

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.